Monday, March 19, 2012

What makes a great heroine?

Hello, Jenna Mindel here.

Last time I blogged about my favorite hero-types, and so today I got to thinking about what makes a great heroine. I get a kick out of that well worn term regarding heroines that are "too stupid to live". I'm sure we've all read some of those, and certainly have seen them in movies. But rather than focusing on negative heroine types, I want to know what makes a good heroine great? and memorable?

In film, it's easy for me - any character played by Maureen O'Hara (Mary Kate Danaher's got to be my fav! in The Quiet Man.) But also, any female lead played by Meryl Streep is memorable too. I like a strong heroine who knows her own mind and stands up for herself with conviction. Not just because she's headstrong.

I remember feeling really sorry for Helena in Shakespeare's Mid-Summer Night's Dream. She was an insecure woman who took things into her own hands but messed everthing up. And maybe that's the key for me. I love a heroine I can relate to and that makes them great in my opinion. If I can feel her "pain" even if the book's a comedy, I'm hooked.
What do you think?

No comments: