Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Traditions

Okay, I have to confess, I don't like to cook. Do not enjoy it whatsoever! About eight years ago I join a group of ladies from the church were attending in a club called...The Gourmet Dinner Club. Yep. Go figure. I joined for the fellowship and because I love to eat--just not cook. But as part of the club I had to cook. And I actually enjoyed myself. I really enjoyed planning and shopping and decorating more than the actual cooking but since we were in teams of three, it was fun. And I came away from the club with some awesome recipes. One recipe, in fact has become a tradition at Christmas (sometimes Thanksgiving too!)
I wish I could say I made this recipe up but alas, I didn't. But I can share it with you.
This comes from The Pebble Beach Lodge by Gregg Denter, Sous Chef
Italian Sausage Stuffing
1/2 pound butter
1 pound Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp fresh sage
1/4 cup Sherry wine ( I sometimes use Marsala wine)
2 tsps salt
1 tsp pepper
1 loaf bread cubed (really good with sourdough)
2 cups chicken stock
2 eggs
Heat the butter in a saute pan. Add the sausage and brown. Add vegetables, garlic and spices, saute until tender. Add the wine, salt and pepper. Put into a bowl and add cubed bread, chicken stock, and eggs. Mix thoroughly and stuff into a turkey (or cook seperately--which is what I usually do). Cook in oven at 375 degrees until turkey reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees (or if cooking seperately, for about 30 mins so its nice and hot and the eggs are cooked)


Enjoy!!


No comments: