Friday, March 6, 2015

Oh, for a Farm in the Wilderness

Regina Scott here, celebrating the release of the second book in my Frontier Bachelors series, Would-Be Wilderness Wife.  As I was writing it, the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers kept coming to mind.  I love how the quiet Milly finds her voice and her determination in helping Adam Pontipee and his brothers learn a thing or two about women.

When I was researching the story, I went looking for some place to use as a model.  There are plenty of books, from history tales for children to reminiscences of the pioneers themselves, that speak of the trials and tribulations of living in the wilderness.  But I’m a hands-on kind of gal.  I need to touch, taste, smell, and hear beside just seeing.

That’s why I was thrilled to tour Pioneer Farm Museum outside Eatonville, Washington.  Pioneer Farm is one of those wonderful museums geared toward children, so everything is very hands on.  I gleefully followed our tour guides around from the general store to the school house to the three cabins, barn, and blacksmith’s shop, peppering them with questions and poking my nose into everything.  Without such a treasure, I might not have learned the following:

A lady in a full-belled hoop skirt would never be able to climb the ladder to the loft for bed.


Everything you need to live has to fit in a one-room house smaller than my bedroom.  Easily. 


And it does.


Oil lamps aren't really bright enough to read by, but they do warm up a curling iron nicely.


It takes a lot of time and work to grate enough cinnamon for one pie.


 Pioneer Farm Museum is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing living history, environmental, and cultural education through hands-on activities.  If you happen to be in the area, I highly recommend a visit. 

I know some of you have been to great museums in your area.  Any recommendations to share?
~
Regina Scott loves history, whether learning about it or writing about it. The author of more than two dozen historical Christian romances, she’s currently working on a series set in Seattle’s early years:  Frontier Bachelors, bold, rugged, and bound to be grooms. Sign up here for a free e-mail alert with exclusive bonus material when her next book comes out, or visit her online at her website or Facebook.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Here in Lexington my mom and I have visited several Historical houses. The Henry Clay Estate, White Hall, and Waveland. There is also Mary Todd Lincoln's home which is downtown and the next house I want to visit.
That would be cool to visit the pioneer farm and museum. Thanks Regina! Jenny

Shirley said...

I loved the first book in the series. Can't wait to read this one.

Keli Gwyn said...

I love historical museums, and this one sounds like a great place to visit. It's amazing to think about how small the houses were back then. Even so, our foremothers turned them into warm, wonderful homes in which to raise their families.