Thursday, March 12, 2015

Getting to the end by Leann Harris



Writing is a unique experience. No two writers write the same way. There are those of us who are plotters, and those of us who are pantsers, and various combinations in between.  I’m a plotter. I want to know what is going happen to my characters once I’ve written the first three chapters and synopsis. If I decide to drive to Little Rock from Denver,  I’d look at a map and find what roads I needed to take. I just wouldn’t hop in my car and started driving.  My plot is my map.

The book I’m working on now has decided to take a life of its own, which I’m not real happy about. I followed the plot, but one of the minor characters did something I hadn’t  planned.  I kept writing, thinking I’d fix it in the next draft. The black moment was supposed to happen for the hero and heroine in the hospital. 

But it didn’t. 

I thought I’d gone way off the mark, but I kept writing. Write it, then you can fix it.
So as I rushed to the end of the book, that plot point my minor character had changed came into the play and tied up a lot of strings in the plot. I sent up a thanks to Heaven.  I finished this book as a pantser. I’m surprised I still have hair, but the book came together. I didn’t like how it happened, but I liked how the book ended.  I now have a clearer picture of how the other half lives. I don’t want to do it again, but  you have my admiration.


This is a picture of my new cover, which is out in this June, 2015.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Leann, Sounds like God was showing you that He was in control of your story and that you can't control it every time. I'm grateful that you were able to finish your book. :) Jenny

Leann Harris said...

True, and I'm glad He was and is in control.

Jennifer said...

Me too! :)

Sally Shupe said...

Loved this story of how your book came together. Love to hear how God works. Panstering is fun. Do you normally plot when you write?

Shirley said...

Loved that you were willing to let the story playout and see where it went. I can't wait to read it.
I love the cover of your new book.

Pamela Tracy said...

Gosh, Leann, I thought I was the only one whose characters didn't behave LOL