Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Call your mom . . . and dad, of course



"If you're lucky enough to have a parent alive on this planet, call them! Don't text them.Call them on the phone."  - J.K. Simmons

Hello everyone! Dana Corbit here. Since J.K. Simmons made this comment during his recent Oscar acceptance speech, the actor has received as much praise for his words as for his performance in Whiplash.

I, for one, can't help but to be impressed by someone who used his moment in the spotlight to focus attention of the importance of family. Aside from faith, what could be more important? Family is definitely an important part of all the stories we write for Love Inspired.

In addition to reminding me to call my own parents, Simmons' comment got me thinking. Though reminders to stay in touch with parents have remained constant over the years, the actual methods of those communications between parent and child have changed dramatically. We text. We email. We send Facebook and Snapchat messages. We message privately on Twitter. We Skype.

Mom and me
So this where Mr. Simmons and I disagree. My parents might not have ever dreamed of a texting their parents - and good thing since the technology wasn't there - but that doesn't mean that it's not okay for my daughters to text me. As the mother of one teen and two college students, I take what I can get. :) I've used some of the newer types of communication with my own parents as well. Mom and my Stepdad are beginning to get texting and Face Time down, and Facebook messaging has been a blessing with Dad, who struggles to hear me when I talk on the phone. (Sorry for telling your secret, Dad.)

The way I see it, the communication is what matters, not the method for sharing the messages. Sure, I still love real telephone calls or, even better, the face-to-face communication of Skype and Face Time, but what's most important is the effort of reaching out to our parents and letting them know that we love them. For all of the things they've done for us, the deserve that much.

Dad and me
So if you are one of the lucky ones like me who has a living parent parent or two (or three), “Honor your father and mother” (Exodus 20:12a - NIV), and give 'em a call. Or a text. Or an email. Or a Snap. And keep on talking.

4 comments:

Jackie Smith said...

Totally agree! DH just had cataract sg., and made our day when grandson texted us from college! Yep, we take what we can get.

Shirley said...

I agree. Today is the 2nd anniversary of my father's death after a very short illness. I wish I could call him or go see him. I am blessed to still have my mom. I talk her almost daily. Of my children's 4 grandparents, my mom is the only one still with us.
Treasure your parents while you have them. You never have them long enough.

Dana Corbit said...

Thanks for the comment, Jackie. I happen to love knowing that my girls are just a text away. And it doesn't seem to bug them too much when I check in. :)

Shirley, I'm sorry for the loss of your father. What a blessing that you still have your mom. Thanks for the advice regarding my parents. I love them a lot.

Jennifer said...

Hi Ladies, I do call for the most part, texting has been fun when you want to share a quick photo or ask an opinion and I email her quite a bit about good books and authors. I just have my mom but my husband has both his parents still and he calls them a lot. Thanks Dana! Jenny