Monday, March 18, 2013

Ideas that come a Knocking

Pamela Tracy here, and I'm thinking about my purse. Yes, really mypurse. I always have my purse with me. Sometimes it's full (right now mine has a wallet, kindle, calendar, pens, chapstick, sore throat losengers [sp?], gift/store cards [30!], cell phone AND Lego men, cub scout cap, and McDonald toy). Sometimes it's not that full. My purse and I are a team, without it, I feel lost.


Ideas, yes for books, are like that. Always with me.

Last month my son received his wolf badge for cub scouts. There was a huge ceremony for all the different ranks from Webelos on down to Bobcats.

Ideas were flowing right and left.

The event started with the flaming arrows.

All around me was conversation:

"Does the school allow fire exhibits?"

"I wonder if the planes flying overhead thinking we're shooting at them?"

"What if a flaming arrow hits someone?"

Real life was even more dramatic:

One scout shot his arrow into the ground at his feet - not his finest moment.

The sound the flaming arrows made was a great swish.

Rockets were also set off:

One landed in a tree.

One on top of the school.

And the writer in me was thinking...

1. Setting for boy scout flaming arrow historical story - in the Big Woods, flaming arrow hits a bear: conflict.

2. Setting for boy scout flaming arrow contemporary story - at the school, flaming arrow lands in yard of single woman yearning for love. Single father climbs fence to find it. Police called. First impression. Opening scene.

3. Setting for boy scout flaming arrow paranormal story- dark night, at camp, flaming arrow hits a vampire: conflict.

Well, you get the idea. Or, hey, can you come up with another.

I wish I had more time to write.

No comments: