Monday, January 30, 2012

What's your favorite type of Hero in fiction?

Jenna Mindel here...
(okay, that's not me, but I bet the picture caught your eye! :)

It's that time of year when the Romance Writer's of America's RITA award contest for published authors is in full swing. I enjoy judging as I get the chance to discover new authors and read books I might not normally seek out. The entries I've read thus far remind me why I love the romance genre. Those wonderful heroes! And the freshness an author brings to a classic hero type make them all the more intriguing.

I tend to favor two types of heroes-
The disreputable ne're-do-well charmer with a heart of gold, and the gruff, tough-on-the-outside-but-mush-on-the-inside hero. I was thirteen when I saw Star Wars and Han Solo has been one of my all time fav's ever since. My favorite fairy tale is Beauty and Beast and Disney's portrayal of the Beast stole my heart as the classic tortured hero with integrity. Still - a truthful, well-drawn hero with flaws as well as a noble spirit gets me every time.

So, who's your favorite fictional heroes and why?

No comments: