Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pine Pollen is Raining Down! by Missy Tippens

Missy Tippens, here.

Well, after Marty's post on Tuesday about spring cleaning, I thought I'd show you what we're dealing with in Georgia--which might just make Marty crazy! :)

First, this photo is looking off my deck. Gorgeous! But on the deck...check the next photo. That table is not supposed to be yellow. On Tuesday, the pine pollen (here, NE of Atlanta) started falling like crazy! You could see it thick and blowing in the air. Luckily, pine pollen is too large to be an allergen. But it sure is an irritant! :)

Oh, and check the last photo. That is our glass table that's supposed to be clear. It got an awful coating of pollen on Tuesday! Yes, I wrote a message for you. :)

I'd never seen pollen like this until I moved to Georgia. What about you? Do you get it this bad in the spring?


5 comments:

Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Missy, we also have heavy yellow pollen in NJ from all the trees. We've recently had a heat wave that brought it all out in full force. Unfortunately most of the particles are small enough to cause allergy symptoms. I get red, swollen eyes, runny nose, etc. Time to do the eye drops, etc!

Missy Tippens said...

Carrie, We've also had a very high pollen count for other pollens as well. (I heard the count yesterday was over 5000.) I'm just thankful I'm not very allergic! Although the eye drops help clear out the grit. :)

Missy Tippens said...

Marybelle, we got rain this afternoon that's washing it away finally! :) Rivers of yellow were running down the street. :)

Maybe you'll get some relief soon, too.

Merrillee said...

We're in northern Florida, and my porch furniture looks a lot like yours. My car has a fine coating of yellow, and our pool has a yellow slick.

Patty Smith Hall said...

Hey Missy, I had forgotten about the yellow cloud that hangs over Atlanta during the spring. It was so thick yesterday, you would have thought my parent's white car had been painted gold.

So far, no allergy symptoms--thank goodness!