Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring has sprung (colds, that is)



By Barbara Phinney


Okay, there are many indications that spring has sprung. The male cats on our street have made their annual pilgramage to our barn cats. The sugar bush is open! And only during this time of year can the forecast call for ten degrees celius weather with a chance of snow.


I hve no idea how nature is going to pull that one off!


But we're also facing spring colds and my son came home sick from school yesterday, full of cold and determined to sleep the day away.

We need to air out the house, but the temps outside, not to mention the still-high snow drifts and cost of reheating the house, make it prohibitive.


But I woke up this morning with the idea of spraying that kid's room with Lysol. The heavy duty industrial strength, the stuff they usually reserve for massive biocontamination spreads on which the world hasn't seen since Dustin Hoffman donned a bio suit in the seventies.


I won't forget doorknobs, TV remotes, portable gaming systems, pens, pencils, erasers, and if I can pry his cell phone from his tight fingers, I'll decontaminate that, too.
And then the kid won't have germ to stand on when he wants to come home and sleep.

4 comments:

adge said...

Drink teas too.

Debby Giusti said...

Barbara,
I worked in a hospital for a number of years. Proven fact: hand washing is the best way to ward off germs.

What's a sugar bush?

Mystery and Mayhem said...

I pushed the teas on him, too. He's feeling better now, and since I volunteered in his classroom today, I could check him out!
Debbie, the sugar bush is the maple woods where the maple sap is collected and boiled down. There are three in this one woods we go to, and one couple actually live there off the grid all year round, and boil down the sap to make syrup, taffy, cream butter and fudge.
It's a spring rite of passage for all of us. We bought syrup and cream and fudge, but I have to hide the stuff because of that germy son of mine will eat it all.
Barbara

Cindy W. said...

I used to work as a surgical tech in the Operating Room and my hands were washed more then they were dirty. I still use that antiseptic stuff all the time. I hate colds and do my best to stay clear of 'sneezers'.

Smiles & Blessings,
Cindy Woolard

countrybear52[at]yahoo[dot]com