Thursday, March 11, 2010

Giving God Our Dreams


Sandra Robbins here with some things that have been on my mind lately. About two years ago a middleaged woman with unruly hair and wearing an ordinary dress stepped onto the stage of Britain's Got Talent and told the startled judges that included Simon Cowell that she had a dream to be a professional singer. Everyone in the audience laughed at her, and the judges couldn't control the skepticim on their faces. A few minutes later Susan Boyle's voice soared as she sang I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables. And the rest is history. Susan's first album released before last Christmas and sold more in a single week than any other in history. She is known world wide and is in high demand as a performer.

On a much smaller scale, I, too, had a dream to write a book. I promised myself I would do it someday, but those somedays never came. Then one night I began to write, and six months later I'd written a book. That book never sold, but I learned so much from writing it. I wrote another, and then another. Then the day finally came that I received the call of a sale. Now with three books released and three more contracted, I can only give God the glory for working a miracle in my life.

God has planted dreams in all our hearts, and it's up to us to find out what He would have us do with them. All He asks is that we turn them over to Him. When we do, we have to watch for the blessings and opportunities He sends our way and take advantage of them.

Susan Boyle dreamed a dream, and so did I. Has God placed a dream in your heart? If He has, don't be afraid to let God take you where He wants you to go.

6 comments:

Carrie Padgett said...

I fell in love with Susan Boyle and her pursuit of her dreams when I first saw her on Britain's Got Talent. My daughter gave me her cd for Christmas. Susan's journey is both an inspiration and a caution. She's struggled with having all her dreams come true and it's helping me remember that all things come in God's timing.

Nicola said...

What a wonderful post Sandra. :-)

Thank you for your inspirational story. It is just what I needed to hear today. It reminds me of the importance of holding on to our dreams and taking action steps in their direction. I'm so pleased for your success.

Blessings
Nicola

nicolak3(at)gmail(dot)com

Patty Smith Hall said...

Sandra,
Thanks for such a timely post--I'm finishing up the edits of a historical romance that I've been dreaming about for years. I'm nervous about throwing my baby out there, but I know that God has a purpose for this story, whether it's to teach me patience or to keep going after the dream He's laid on my heart.

Thank you--Patty Smith Hall
pattywritesAThotmailDOTcom

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so wonderful. Thank you for that.
Booklover11

Cindy W. said...

We sometimes forget that God is the Giver of dreams. I know I tend to forget that and then try to accomplish my dreams on my own...doesn't work.

I appreciate this blog. I read Steeple Hill Love Inspired books voraciously.

Smiles & Blessings,
Cindy Woolard

countrybear52[at]yahoo[dot]com

Megan said...

God has placed a dream on my heart as well... And love that he tells us He will give us more than we ask or imagine because I have a big imagination. I look forward to the day that I see my dreams come true and if, as so many mentioned in Hebrews 12, I join the LORD before they come to completion, I will go believing and hoping in HIM!
Inspired by Fiction