Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prayer

Camy here!

Lately I’ve been getting more into prayer.

I don’t know if I’m actually starting to mature as a Christian or what, but I’ve been seeing the importance of prayer in my life more and more the past few years. This is partly due to authors Cheryl Wyatt and Brandilyn Collins, who are both incredible prayer warriors. Seeing them in action made me see the dynamic power of prayer for the first time.

But then God started working in my own life. I started feeling prayer should be more important in all aspects of my life. I started being more consistent in writing down requests from friends and family in my prayer journal and praying for them all during my daily quiet times.

I also have started getting into the monthly prayer meetings at church to pray for the worship service. I kind of “have” to go because I’m one of the worship leaders, but I’ve been finding that I enjoy going, and that I really believe that it’s important.

Though it all, I feel more comfortable praying than I ever have before. I am not as self-conscious about what I pray about out loud, and I don’t worry that what I pray about is stupid or that I’m not eloquent. I also don’t worry about not knowing what to pray about when it’s my turn, because God has been giving me the prayers to say—they just come out of nowhere.

Well, not nowhere, but you know what I mean (Camy fist-bumps the Holy Spirit).

So I want to encourage all of you to start this year and spend more time in prayer, to focus more on prayer in your daily lives. It’s something we could all use more of, right? And I fully believe God is calling all of us to be a people who prays.

Pray on!

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Her novels Single Sashimi and Deadly Intent are out now. She runs the Story Sensei critique service, is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she gives away Christian novels and ponders frivolous things. Sign up for her newsletter YahooGroup for giveaways!

4 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

My prayer life was incredible the year before I became pregnant with my son. I petitioned God and grew so much. Ever since then, I've been trying to get that prayer life back. You are so right, Camy. When you are engaged in prayer, there is such a sense of belonging.

Vince said...

Hi Camy:

I see prayer as a way to get closer to God. I use prayer to praise the Lord. I am not comfortable using prayer to ask God for things I want. I’m a more, ‘Let Thy will be done’ kind of Christian.

Have you shown prayer in a novel without the use of words?

If a story had a cowboy riding in the Rocky Mountains, as the sun comes up, and he gets off his horse, looks out at the sunrise, sees the valley below, takes off his hat, remains still for a brief time, and then gets back up on his horse, would you take this as a prayer?

Did I show a prayer without having the cowboy say or think any words?

I’m thinking ‘deep POV’ here.

Vince

Carrie Fancett Pagels said...

It is a privilege and a blessing to pray for the needs of others and to have others pray for your needs. But the the best prayer time is when we spend it with God and let Him communicate with us. That is awesome! A prayer journal is wonderful because you can look back at it later and see how He has answered all your prayers. God bless you in this, Camy!

Camy Tang said...

Pam--that's a great way to put it, a sense of belonging. I love that!

Vince--I showed worship in ONLY UNI, which I think is also a form of prayer, does that count? LOL I also like when authors show the character's emotions as they pray, even if they're praying without words. I pray without words a lot, so I try to convey my own feelings when I write prayer.

Carrie--thanks! I'm hoping that if I'm better about keeping my prayer journal, it will really bless me to see God working!

Camy