Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Why we read stories?

Ever wonder if there's any added benefits to reading fiction? In the latest "Psychology Today" (June 2008), there is an article titled "Dare to be Yourself." The authors list 8 Acts of Authenticity and the #1 Act is to read novels. "It's the best way to figure out what it feels like to be in somene else's head -- and that's what helps us to distinguish our own identity," (quote from John Portmann, professor of religious ethics, University of Virginia.).
I was intrigued. I know I've always loved to read novels, but I had no idea they were making me more myself. What do you think? Agree or disagree?

Janet

2 comments:

Ausjenny said...

Im not sure either but I find I tend to identify with some charactors or see traits that I sometimes avoid etc. Books can give new understanding of situations and even hope. I think my life would be less without reading as it really has widened my horizons.

Debra Clopton said...

Hi Janet!
I agree with that statement, though I'm like you and hadn't really ever thought about it before.