Saturday, June 14, 2008

What Do Authors Do In Their Spare Time?

What spare time? (grinning here) I'm excited to begin work on a few ideas that I have to change a book that's been sitting here forever because I knew it needed something. Now I know (or think I do) and can't find the time to work on it.

Why? Because I'm preparing workshops which I'm presenting at many conferences this year. My husband often asks me, "Are you a writer or speaker?" I can't answer the question because I guess I'm both. Speaking and writing are gifts that the Lord has given and I love doing both. So many people helped me as a new writer -- many who are top-notch Christian writers and who took the time to give me tips and answer questions. Now I want to give back to other writers who are wanting to hone their craft.

One thing I love about Christian writers is we are giving. I don't see the jealousy or the "me first" attitude that I see other places. Yes, writers have only so many slots in the publishing business to sell their books, but I truly believe it's God's timing and his blessing to have a publisher want one of mine. I've been so blessed with forty sold novels -- yet the feeling doesn't end. I want more, but I also want to see others have the same joy in seeing their books on bookstore shelves.

I'm not alone in this feeling. I attend so many conferences where great authors are teaching others about writing. We have giving hearts and it comes from Him who gave us the ability.

I hope you're enjoying the new look and this new blog.

Blessings,
Gail Gaymer Martin
http://www.gailmartin.com/
http://www.writingright-martin.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Ausjenny said...

thanks for the insight Gail. I think its good you can help out other new writers like you were helped out and yes i like the new look blog.

Gail Gaymer Martin said...

Hi Jenny - Thanks for spending time on our blog. I think it's a great idea to be able to communicate with readers -- although I've spoken to you on other sites -- even my own, I think. : )

Gail

Ausjenny said...

Hi Gail I found you hear and went to your newsletter then we emailed.
so this is the site we found each other.

Gail Gaymer Martin said...

And Jenny - it has been a blessing. Wishing you all good things.

Gail

Mystery and Mayhem said...

What do authors do in their spare time?

I don't know about others, but I clean my house.
Barbara