Sunday, June 22, 2008

Standing Ovation


Have you every received a standing ovation? I don't believe I ever have until this weekend at the American Christian Writers Conference in Grand Rapids where I was on staff.
This was an uplifting, spirit-filled event, and I had the opportunity to present workshops to new eager writers, meet them at meals, talk with them at appointments and present the banquet keynote address. When they rose with applause, I was touched beyond belief.
Why does this happen? I think such an ovation happens, when the hearers relate to what's been said--when they identify themselves in the words spoken, when they hear the frustrations that they have experience, and when they have felt blessed by whatever event they were involved in. Writers share so many emotions besides lonely hours behind a computer. We experience the ups and downs of our careers, and we know the joy of a sale, but also the taste of rejection whether published or not.
I spoke on the topic For Everything There Is A Season, and we all need to remember this true statement. We don't know when it will be our season to shine. We may be surrounded by the storm of failure or be sprinkled of the rain of uncertainty, or we can enjoy the sunshine of God's presence -- whether rain or shine.
Our words are a blessing for authors who aren't speakers. Though we can't see the glow in the faces of our readers, we know that they are often touched by our written words and the stories we weave.
The Lord tells us, we do not write with ink, but on the hearts of our readers. What a responsibility, yet what a joy. Thank you Lord for allowing me and all my fellow authors to work for you and your kingdom.
Have you every asked yourself -- When will it be my season?

4 comments:

Debra Clopton said...

Hi Gail! You deserved a standing ovation I'm sure. You are such a giving and talented person plus being a giving and talented author.

Ausjenny said...

Gail Im sure you deserved the standing ovation and I can see it would be a humbling experience.
not sure i have asked when will it be my time to shine as im a very self consious person. I love doing things behind the scenes or one on one. but to get up infront of people I really struggle.

Anita Mae Draper said...

Hey Gail, yes, I've often wondered when it will be my time.

I set aside my writing over 30 yrs ago just before the birth of my 1st child and I still have a 9 yo at home.

But I can't hold back any longer. Last year I went back to writing and I can only believe that my writing is more adventurous and passionate because of the experience and the lessons that God has taught me over the years.

I've already registered for my 1st ACFW conf this Sept and I'm even taking one of your workshops.

I can't wait!

Gail Gaymer Martin said...

Debbie - Thanks so much for your nice words -- and Jenny and Anita, you're question is one every author has -- even those of us who are published. It's hard to have patience, especially when we feel we've been called to write, but we can't push God and we can't short-change his plan. I think I'll blog on this topic. Thanks for the idea.

Blessings,
Gail
www.gailmartin.com