Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Grace Livingston Hill

Camy here, and today I’m a bit nostalgic because I’m reorganizing my bookshelves, which is actually a fun thing for me to do (I think I should have been a librarian rather than a biologist).

I’m on a shelf that has all my old Grace Livingston Hill books, and while I haven’t read all of her books, I’ve read a good number of them.

I’m not sure exactly why I like them. They’re a bit cheesy and more evangelistic than I’m used to, but there’s something about them that’s magical, romantic, and uplifting. They’re a complete escape from real life.

It helped me appreciate them more when I first looked at the original copyright date. Grace Livingston Hill wrote these novels from the late 1910s to the early 1940s (?) so when I saw the copyright date, I knew that the book was set in that time period.

My favorite is the book cover pictured, Crimson Roses. It’s just really romantic and a bit of a Cinderella story. It’s very sweet and something nice and light to make me feel good. It’s set in the 1920s, so I can imagine the characters dressed up in twenties outfits and the dialogue itself is so authentic to the time period.

I also loved The Enchanted Barn a lot. It was another one of those where I finished reading it and felt so good!

Have you read any Grace Livingston Hill novels? If not, why not give one a shot? Crimson Roses is being reissued by Barbour this year and you can preorder it at Amazon or BarnesandNoble.com. You can also order a used copy. The one I have is this one, with the slightly Hispanic looking girl on the cover.

The Enchanted Barn is actually available for free as an ebook from BarnesandNoble.com or from Google Books (the BN version is the same as the Google Books version, which has some typos from the computer software used to scan the book into electronic form) or you can buy a slightly edited version on both Amazon and BarnesandNoble.com.

If you love GLH as much as I do, which one is your favorite and why?

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Out now is the third book in her Sonoma series, Stalker in the Shadows. She is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she ponders frivolous things like knitting, running, dogs, and Asiana. Visit her website to sign up for her quarterly newsletter.

Click here to find out how you can join my Street Team—it’s free and there’s lots of chances to win prizes!

No comments: