Friday, November 13, 2009

That music in your head...

Allie Pleiter here. Ever get one of these?


earworm(EER.wurm) n. A song or tune that repeats over and over inside a person's head. Also: ear-worm, ear worm.


You know, that song you can’t get out of your head? I’ve also heard it called a “sticky tune” or a “cognitive itch”--both are highly descriptive, don’t you think?


My heroine Mary Thorpe, is an earworm maestro. She’s created all kinds of stick-to-your-eardrums songs in her advertising career. She made a nice career out of jingle-wrangling, but the relentless marketing of Christmas started to chafe at her spirit once she came to faith. Like her masterpieces, however, Mary can’t seem to escape her musical past, even if she loves her new job as the Middleburg Community Church drama director. Her Christmas drama, combined with the kind of high-stakes drama Middleburg specializes in creating, makes for a most imperfect Christmas.


What earworms can you identify? Here, I’ll get you started...

The theme from Gilligan’s Island

The Macarena song

"We Wish You a Merry Christmas"

“I am stuck on Bandaids, cause Bandaid’s stuck on me...”

“Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...?”

“America” from West Side Story


Chime in and besige our ears...because it’s been proven that the best way to purge an earworm....is with another earworm!

1 comment:

Missy Tippens said...

I've never heard that term. But I get them all the time!!

After choir practice on Wednesday, I had our anthem stuck in my head all evening. couldn't quit playing it over and over. Until my son started singing that one of the tunes they play before NFL games on TV's Monday Night Football. Oh my gosh, then that one got stuck.

I'm a prime target. And now, thanks, Allie. I'm humming the tune to Gilligan's Island! LOL