Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pies and Dressing

I love Thanksgiving. It is a time for family and hasn’t been victim to the commercialization that Christmas has suffered. I remember the first time I tried to cook a turkey. It was okay, but my husband decided that my dressing wasn’t as good as his mother’s. Over the years, he’s assumed the job of making the dressing. And it is something my kids love. I do, too. Now making dressing is a joint venture where I cook the cornbread, peel the apples and get things ready for the ‘Master Chef’. My motto is if you want to cook it, be my guest.

He also makes the pies. Have you ever tried to make a decent crust? I know my limits and am only happy to have someone else do it. His apple pie is what the family requests when we gather for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

On a serious note. Thanksgiving is the time we as a nation set aside to give thanks to The Almighty for His bounty to us. This year, I think we should remember all the families of the soldiers who were killed in Killeen. God’s grace is a mighty thing and He can sustain us through those dark and lonely times.

We don’t understand, but God knows our hearts and he can comfort us in ways no one can understand.

My prayers are for those grieving families.
Leann.

1 comment:

Sheila Deeth said...

Many things to give thanks, and good suggestions from you. Thank you.