Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Joys and Trails of Researching Fiction



Hi from Gail Gaymer Martin ready to talk with you about researching novels. Research is the interesting but difficult part of being a novelist. Obviously historical fiction needs lots of research, but I’ve learned that contemporaries are also demanding.




My latest series, Man’s Best Friend, revolves around three women who are part of a dog shelter named Time for Paws. I hope you read Dad In Training, released in September. In February you will have the opportunity to read Steph Wright’s story in Groom In Training and in July you’ll get to know Emily and her “surprise” hero in Bride in Training.



Bride In Training is set in Rochester, Michigan, and since I want the story to be real, I spend time checking locations of stores and how long it takes to get from one location to another. I’ve researched Independent Living facilities so that I have accurate information, and I’ve read a great deal of material on therapy dogs. Often it takes me an hour or more to research a topic for a scene that will take only a few minutes to read.





My favorite research is studying locations for my stories. While Dad in Training and the following novels are set nearby, I research three novels set in the central coast of California and enjoyed visiting the sites and taking tons of photographs. This was for three novels published by Heartsong Presents and soon to be packaged as an anthology titled Monterey Memories released in November and available wherever good books are sold as well as on-line bookstores.








Envision yourself watching the waves roll in on the Monterey Bay or observing migrant workers in the lettuce fields. Better yet, walking on the white sand in Carmel By the Sea.








While authors spend hours and hours researching, sometimes they enjoy research that is relaxing and fun. Visit my website at www.gailmartin.com to see more photos and learn more about being a novelist.

1 comment:

Sheila Deeth said...

What lovely pictures. You make research look fun. And your books sound fun too.