Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Corny Dogs and the State Fair by Leann Harris

One of the delights of Fall is the State Fair of Texas.  It is held in Dallas and runs for a month.  Some of my fondest memories of my kids growing up is going to the Fair with them.  The school districts give their students tickets for the fair.  The wonder of children wandering around the midway, wanting to ride the Ferris Wheel and play on the midway is a treasure.  Chowing down on Corny Dogs and fresh squeeze lemonade is a treat I can only have once a year.  (Those are corny dogs my son and daughter-in-law are enjoying.) Now, you can buy corny dogs at the supermarket, but they are nothing like the treats at the State Fair. My heroine in my March book, A Ranch to Call Home, reminiscences about going to the fair and shares my opinion about corny dogs.

I know each state has a state fair, and on the food channel, they explored the different foods at each fair. I think it was Wisconsin had pork chops on a stick, but Corny Dogs are a treat you must try.

And in the middle of the fair, UT plays OU at the Cotton Bowl.  That is a crazy day since I'm at UT alum and have been there on that day. Last year, Big Tex burned toward the end of the fair, so we have a newly rebuilt Big Tex.

What are your best memories of your children going up or of going to your state fair?

No comments: