Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring? Where is it?

Okay, so you're hearing spring has sprung. (Lenora, I'm talking about you, girl!) And you're seeing people sporting tans and tee shirts from down south and facing dastardly issues like pollen from all those pretty trees.

Now it's time to tell you how some of us are living. I'd love to send you a picture of the weather outside my house, but all you'd see is white. And lots of it.

We're in the throes of a spring snow storm. Isn't that an oxymoron? Spring? Snow? Kind of like jumbo shrimp or non-working mother, or military intelligence.
This storm began last night. This morning, my husband had to blow out the driveway. Yes, Virginia, there are machines that only blow snow, and we've overused ours this winter. Ahem, I mean, spring.

Schools are closed, garbage pickup delayed. Mail delivery? Are you kidding?
It's been a tough old winter this year, and I'm not talking about just the weather. We've lost family members, seen major heart operations, and last Friday, our furnace quit.

But like Lenora, we must search for the hopeful side. I'm always one to say that the glass is half full.

Because it's all about your attitude. God isn't giving us anything we can't handle, though, I am the first one to bristle and growl. But our furnace didn't quit in the dark, cold days of winter, and for that I'm grateful. The weather may be miserable, but the temperature is up near freezing. (Here, you cringe just as much at the clear skies because they are sure to bring -40 degree temps.)

And I've had the opportunity to visit my sister and brother in law, after they lost their son. God gave me good flights at cheap prices. I couldn't help them much during the visit, but I did what I could do.

And our family has been able to rally around each other as we deal with major operations. I will do my best to thank God for the small blessings we forget about at times like this. The blessings of friends and family, of being able to share my story today with you, and maybe encourage us all.

Bear ye one another's burdens and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Galations 6:2

God bless.

Barbara Phinney

2 comments:

Stephanie Newton said...

Come on down, Barbara. We'll share the mosquitoes, the sunburn, the sniffles from the pollen, and the spring thunderstorms. :)

You've had such a tough year. The furnace is almost like insult to injury, huh? Hang in there!

Steph

Mystery and Mayhem said...

Thanks, Stephanie. I know that pollen is a killer, and appreciate being able to breathe through my nose, even if the nostrils stick together when it's super cold! But today the sun is shining and my family is safe, so I am thanking God.
Barbara