Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Maverick Preachers

I'm Victoria Bylin and I write westerns for Love Inspired Historicals. Welcome to the LI Authors blog!

For just a moment, imagine you own a mansion. It’s called Swan’s Nest and you share it with four friends. You’re a single mother. And you're in Denver in 1875. It's past midnight when you hear a thud on the front porch. This isn't the first time you've had trouble in the middle of the night. Long before you arrived in Denver, you learned about danger in the dark.

That’s how The Maverick Preacher starts. It's my February release from Love Inspired Historicals, and the heroine’s name is Adelaide Clarke. Adie's got her hands full with a baby, a business and a secret. I loved telling her story. She turned into a good friend, and I was happy to introduce her to Reverend Joshua Blue. The book is named for him. Or more correctly, he was written to fit the title. Josh’s faith is strong, and he’s not afraid to break from the crowd.

The Maverick Preacher is officially dedicated to my husband, but it also belongs to the men and women who have knocked scales from my eyes. My husband and I have attended churches of all sizes. One had ten members. Another has 10,000. The leaders in these churches all have something in common. They preach God’s grace.

Reverend Joshua Blue is that kind of minister. He’s unafraid to speak his mind, and he loves people just as they are. He's suffered, and he knows what it means to need forgiveness. Josh has been at the top of the heap and the bottom of the barrel. He's had quite a time of it, but that trip has made him generous, dedicated and wise. This book is my way of saying thank you to all the brave souls in ministry.

Has there been someone in your life--a minister, a friend, a voice on the radio--who’s helped to open your eyes? Is there a moment, maybe a Bible verse, that hit with sudden clarity? I’d love to hear your story!

1 comment:

Renee Ryan said...

Oh, Vicki,

I love your hero, Joshua. I had a minister once say that being in the center of God's will means hardships and conflict -- it requires courage and God's grace. You really nailed that with Joshua. I hope you have incredible success with his and Adelaide's story! What an inspiring hero and heroine!

~Renee~