Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let's Get Moving

Hi All! Charlotte Carter here.

Non-writers have no idea how physically demanding being a full-time writer can be.

What? Do I hear you laughing? Not so fast.

Give some thought to what happens to a body when it spends eight or ten or more hours per day in a sitting position. (Granted, I have writer friends who sit curled up in a big easy chair with a laptop all day, but that can’t be too swift on a body either.)

Wrist and elbow problems, and carpal tunnel, are as frequent as typos for writers.

The spine — all those discs and vertebra — can turn on their owner, resulting in serious orthopaedic problems.

Knees and hips are joints that are meant to move, not remain immobile for hours on end. (I assume you’ve heard of the condition called ‘piano player’s spread.’ Same problem for writers.)

And then there’s the foggy brain syndrome which is a result of hours of being sedentary and no blood reaching the brain.

Writers have to get up and MOVE! Deadline or not. MOVE!

Some folks have home gym equipment like a treadmill. (Please note: Treadmills are only effective if used regularly, not left sitting in a corner.)

Some writers take walks. That’s a great way to let your brain toy with your latest plot idea or characters.

I’m a member of Curves, the 30-minute women’s exercise program. I haven’t lost a lot of weight, and I’m a long way from being buff, but it does give me a chance to talk to ‘real’ people, in contrast to those talkative characters who inhabit my brain.

So, writers, let’s get moving!

Readers, we authors want you to stay in shape, too. We want you to enjoy our books for a very long time?

What do you do to keep physically active?

To read an interview with Daniel O’Brien, hero and reformed bad boy of Big Sky Reunion visit my blog: www.CharlotteCarter.com

Books that leave you smiling from Love Inspired: Big Sky Reunion, 4/2011; Big Sky Family, 11/2011

9 comments:

Ausjenny said...

Im not an author but I really can understand what you are saying I am a student who is now studying externally so 2 days a week I spend up to 7 hours on work normally on in my comfy chair with my laptop as apposed to the desk but if I sit to long its like im a really old person trying to walk and I know the brain dead feeling. I actually have found this week I walked down the street its only ten mins away but I was in the supermarket not really needing anything except needing to get out. If I had to do this 5 days a week or more I would go mad I admire your dedication. I also have a break for lunch where I do what I want and will get up and relax more.

Leann Harris said...

Charlotte, I usually write early, take a break and go to the gym and work out any problems I was having earlier in the day. Or a trip out to the back yard and pulling weeds helps unblock the creative juices.

Char.... said...

You're right, Ausjenny. (You must be from Australia?) It's not only writers who spend their days lashed to the computer. As for my dedication, my best moments are when the story is flowing. The ultimate in escapism. Good luck with your studies.
Char.....

Char.... said...

Maryrose, I admire the variety of physical activities you enjoy. I haven't ridden in years, my ankles never made it ice skating, nowadays I'd probably drown if I tried to swim. LOL You may get the idea I'm not real physical, and you'd be right.
Char.....

Char.... said...

Lean, I think gardening would be a great way to get exercise AND allow you muse to explore you plot. Now, if only I didn't have a purple thumb!

May your garden grow wonderfully this spring!

Char......

Char.... said...

Jaimn, ouch on your tail bone. Maybe a pillow or one of those circular pillows would help.

As for your manuscript, I'm glad you're mentally prepared for rejects, but I do know people who sold their first book. (I hate them, of course, but in a very admiring way.) No reason why you couldn't be one of those who do it with #1.

Good luck!
Char.....

Char.... said...

Jackie, I'm so impressed. Thirty minutes of walking a day will do wonders for you. If only I could... or would.......
Best, Char.......

Unknown said...

have had total knee replacement and
fibro. I am going to start swiming.

Unknown said...

v need to start swimmimg after a total knee replacement and fibro.
In the meantime I will read these great books
Anne