Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Book Cover is Born!

Hi, Susan Sleeman here. I just got to see the cover of Behind the Badge, my June Love Inspired Suspense book release. Isn’t it fabulous!!

I’m often asked how much input an author has on a cover’s design, so I thought I’d blog about that today.

The question - How much influence does an author have on their book cover?

The short answer - It depends on the publisher.

The long answer - All publishers are interested in what an author envisions for their cover and most have some sort of questionnaire for the author to provide details about the book’s setting, hero or heroine’s physical appearance and anything else important that conveys the essence of the book.

What does Love Inspired do? - They ask us to submit written descriptions of three different scenes we’d like for our cover.

My editor also has me email pictures that portray my thoughts. I spend hours searching the Internet for a representation of the cover in my mind, and then when I find a picture that is close to my thoughts, I send it to her along with the specific mood and feeling I want to portray. If she thinks my ideas won’t work, she asks for more options.

Sigh, more searching for pictures. (If you’ve ever searched for pics on the Internet you know the interesting??? photos your search can return!)

To the right is one of the photos I sent for Behind the Badge.

I asked to have more pine trees and the hat added to the scene, along with a darker more suspenseful feel.

They got it right, don’t you agree?

Hunting for photos is a tedious task, but a very important one, and I am grateful for Love Inspired’s commitment to include the author in this decision. I am happy to say they have always used my suggestions. And the covers have been fabulous.

This is the cover for my first Love Inspired Suspense book, High-Stakes Inheritance. It's a winner, too, in my opinion.


So how many of you buy books because of the cover or at least pick them up because the cover interests you?


Behind the Badge- Coming in June 2011

“YOUR SISTER IS NEXT.”

A killer is threatening the life of rookie cop Sydney Tucker’s sisterunless Sydney turns over evidence from a drug bust. But she doesn’t have the evidence. Not that the thug believes her. Now she and the sibling in her care are under the watchful eye of Logan Lake police chief Russ Morgan…but will his protection be enough? The killer is closing in, picking off the people and places that mean the most to Sydney. A list that now includes Russ. To protect her loved ones, will she pay the ultimate priceher life?

7 comments:

Jaimn said...

They got the scene well! I love both pictures - I take those sort of shots when I am out. :) I enjoy reading suspense though I am not creative or smart enough to write it. I will be looking for this come June!! Thanks for sharing a little more of how LI works.

Susan Sleeman said...

Jaimn, You should email me some of your photos. Maybe one could be the inspiration for the next book.

Susan Sleeman said...

Maryrose, I am the same way. A good cover can really catch my attention and then I look at the copy.

Char.... said...

Susan, I really impressed with your search for cover art and how well the art department 'got it.' Good job!

Donna Lechak said...

Covers are so important. Yet when i read a book and discover the cover doesn't match what has been written - it bothers me. June should be fun!!

Rachel said...

In answer to your question, a cover is the first thing that catches my eye and makes me want to turn over the book and see what it is about. Sometimes it is the title that makes me more interested, sometimes the recomondation of a friend, sometimes it is the combination of two but, usually, it is the cover that first makes me curious. But, if it doesn't have a storyline that interests me, I don't buy it.

country2776 said...

looking forward to this