Thursday, September 8, 2011

Writing Life

Hi all - Charlotte Carter here


A writer’s life can be an interesting one. Not only can I go to work in my robe and slippers if I’m so inclined, odd things can happen.


Some years ago one of my Harlequin books was translated into Portugese and sold in Brazil. To my delight, I received some fan mail. It makes my day to receive a fan letter. But in this case I had a small problem.


The letters were written in Portugese. Because, of course, the reader read the book in Portugese including my Dear Reader letter.


Fortunately, I speak and read a little Spanish. At least I could tell the reader enjoyed my book. That's always a relief.


Since I don’t speak Portugese, I wrote back in English to thank her for her note.


This sweet 18-year-old girl was so pleased that a real live author had written to her, she wrote to me again — this time in her school English! Which was harder to understand than her Portugese! LOL


Then there was the fan letter from a prisoner in jail. Hmm, I didn’t write back to him. Lots of big-time authors get those; nobody responds. Ick!


The strangest thing that has happened to me occurred recently. I was writing a Christmas scene for New Beginnings for Guideposts Books. The holiday table was set, all the family members were there, lights twinkling on the tree and it was snowing outside.


My husband walked into my office at that moment to bring me the day’s mail. My VERY FIRST thought was ‘Why is the post office delivering mail on Christmas Day?’


Talk about having to blink to come back to reality! In case you had any doubts, authors really do get into the heads of our characters.


I imagine every career has its odd moments. What strange things have happened to you on your job?


Happy reading......


Books that leave you smiling - by Charlotte Carter


http://www.charlottecarter.com/


No comments: