Tuesday, February 9, 2016

What's in a cover?

Hi Everyone! Danica Favorite here, and today I'm talking about covers, and what's in a cover. I always have people ask if I get to design my covers, or how that happens, and today I want to share a little about that with you as I share the cover for my April release. :)

When it comes time to put together a cover, our editors ask us to fill out an Art Fact Sheet. In my opinion, it's just a few notches shy of torture, but it's necessary for the artists to come up with the concept. I give them three scenes that happened in the book, sending example pictures of what the area might look like, what the characters look like, and even the poses the characters might be in. I share a summary of the story and important themes. Then, the cover artists get together and look at what other books they have coming out that month, and they put it all together into the cover. Months later, they give me a peek, and I have the opportunity to tell them if there's something they need to change. However, at that point, it's really hard to get too much changed.

I've always been really pleased at how my covers come out. And, to be honest, the characters are always much better looking than I envisioned them. I'm really terrible about picking out people, what they look like, and deciding what they're going to wear. So I love that the art department does such a great job!

A reader commented that she thought it strange that it's a shotgun wedding, but they look so happy in the picture. Here's a little secret for you: they're happy in the end! That's what I love about writing for Love Inspired Historical. I hate sad endings, so I love that I know what I'm going to get!

Do you have more questions about the cover process? What do you find appealing about my latest cover? Share your thoughts in the comments to be entered to win a copy of Shotgun Marriage.

Here's a little more about the book:
 
Conveniently Wed 
Forced to wed to protect their reputations after being trapped overnight in a mine, Emma Jane and Jasper Jackson's marriage is one in name only. Resenting the choices taken from him, Jasper's determined not to lose his heart. But it's not so easy to stay distanced from his new bride when a gang of bandits abducts them both.

Other young women might be ecstatic to land Leadville's wealthiest bachelor. But Emma Jane would rather have Jasper's love than his family's money. A true bond with her handsome husband seems impossible…until their ordeal leaves Emma Jane caring for an orphaned baby. In reach now is the one thing neither expected—the chance to turn a convenient marriage into a forever family.


About Danica:


A self-professed crazy chicken lady, Danica Favorite loves the adventure of living a creative life. She and her family recently moved in to their dream home in the mountains above Denver, Colorado.  Danica loves to explore the depths of human nature and follow people on the journey to happily ever after. Though the journey is often bumpy, those bumps are what refine imperfect characters as they live the life God created them for. Oops, that just spoiled the ending of all of Danica’s stories. Then again, getting there is all the fun.

You can connect with Danica at the following places:
 


8 comments:

Traci said...

I like the cover and think maybe they need to pretend to look happy at the shotgun wedding so they can keep up appearances. If they are getting married to protect their reputations, they might look happy at the wedding for the same reason.
Very interesting to hear about how the covers are created. I hope to be going through that process myself one of these days.

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations on your lovely cover, Danica! The LI design team does such a great job.

Jill Weatherholt said...

Beautiful cover, Danica...congratulations!

Jackie Smith said...

Love the cover, Danica.....can't wait to read it!

Shirley said...

I love the cover! I am often impressed with the covers from all the LI lines. The art department is amazing, right up there with all you talented authors I love to follow.
Can't wait to read the book.

Jennifer said...

I love the heroine's dress it is so beautiful and just a lovely seen altogether! I enjoy your chicken stories to. Hi Ladies! Congrats JCP! Jenny

Valri said...

I love the cover, Danica! I've been looking forward to this book and can't believe it's finally release time! YEA! Congrats! I know it's still awhile off but at least it's within reach :)

Danica Favorite said...

Ugh!! My computer kept locking up when I'd leave comments here but then it had an update last night and now seems to be working fine!!

Traci, great point! Good luck to you on your writing journey! I hope we can celebrate your cover someday!

Keli, thanks!

Jill, thanks!

Thanks Jackie!

Thanks Shirley! And yes, our art department is amazing!

Jennifer I agree! I was so happy to see such a pretty wedding dress! Thank you!

Thanks Valri! This one definitely feels like it's been a long time coming for me, mostly because I was so excited to tell the story. :) I'm glad you're looking forward to it.

And the WINNER is Traci!! Please email me at danica at danicafavorite dot com with your mailing address.