Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Southern Recipe Remix with Stephanie Newton

If you've ever met me in person, you only have to hear about four words out of my mouth to know I'm a Southern girl.  And we Southerners take our cooking very seriously.  Just ask Paula Deen.  Here lately, though, I haven't had a lot of time to do real baking so my daughter and I have been using my mom's friend Betty's favorite cookie recipe a lot!  The basic recipe is to take a white cake mix, add a stick of butter and one egg.  Mix well and within just a few minutes (with no measuring!) you have a great cookie dough mix.  For what it's worth, these make great decorating cookies if you roll them out.  We don't have time for that  :)  We roll up the dough in a ball, sprinkle with some colored sugar, and bake.  Yummy!

Recently, I was blog-hopping through some of my favorite craft blogs and came across a recipe for red-velvet cake cookies.  Red Velvet Cake might not've been invented in the south (I think there's some discussion about that) but it was certainly perfected here.  I know how to make it and suffice it to say, there is measuring involved.   So, when I saw that these cookies were made with a cake mix, I knew I had to try them.  We bought the ingredients and made them that afternoon.  They were delicious!  The original awesome recipe can be found here at Whipperberry, but my daughter and I made ours a little closer to my cookie recipe.

Red Velvet Cake Cookies

1 Red Velvet Cake Mix (any brand)
1 and 1/3 stick butter
2 eggs
1 package white chocolate chips (I used Girardhelli)

Mix first 3 ingredients, add chocolate chips.  Roll into 1 inch balls.  Bake at 350 degrees for around 12 minutes.

So, why is Stephanie sharing a recipe,  you might be thinking?  It's obvious from the picture that I am no food blogger.  The hero in my most recent book, Point Blank Protector, is a tortured hero.  He's tortured by his past, by things that he's done--or hasn't done when he could have.  And so, in the long nights when he can't sleep or when the nightmares come, he cooks.  It's just his thing.  I love a man who isn't afraid to be a man in the kitchen.  And Tyler definitely is that kind of hero.

Hope you enjoy this easy recipe and that it gives you a little taste of the south!

Best,
Steph

Stephanie Newton lives in Northwest Florida with her husband and two teenagers.  Her latest book Point Blank Protector is available now!

7 comments:

Patsy said...

Those cookies look great. Will have to try them. I love to bake - especially cakes. I love cookbooks too. I read them just like a regular book. (My daughters don't understand this).

Stephanie Newton said...

Patsy,
I love cookbooks, too. Something my husband doesn't understand, since my favorite way to cook is to order out. :)

Baking, though, that's a different story. I love to bake, even when I don't have a lot of time! I've found lots of little short cuts. Unfortunately, there's not a shortcut to get the extra pounds from around my hips and thighs!

Stephanie Newton said...

I hope you like them, Maryrose! I love your name...my daughter has a double name, so I'm kind of fond of them :)

Jaimn said...

I love the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing. I don't use box mixes anymore, but I'm sure that I can buy one for this recipe. I love that it has white choc in it too, tho I am a dark chocaholic. :)

Stephanie Newton said...

Jaimn,
I think it would be worth buying a box mix for these cookies--I usually try to hit the B1G1 sale at my local store. Makes them really inexpensive!

Jackie,
I think if I left the white chocolate chips out, I might drizzle some cream cheese icing over the top. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Blessings,
Steph

Stephanie Newton said...

Lisa,
I hope you like the book AND the cookies!! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Patsy. My mouth is watering right now!!