RSS Feed for Love Inspired BlogFollow the Love Inspired Authors on TwitterVisit the Love Inspired Authors on Facebookout nowcoming nextour authorscontestblogcontact

Our Blog

 

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Leigh Bale Blogs About Valentines and Old Age

Lots of people talk about how they’d like to get married and grow old together.  But growing old isn’t a pretty sight.  It takes real love and commitment to endure the test of time.  And when I think of Valentine’s Day, I can’t help thinking about my favorite romantic couples. There's Antony and Cleopatra, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, Elizabeth Bennet and Lord Darcy.   But then, I think about Steve, my husband for over 31 years and the love of my life.  And then, my parents, Dan and Marjorie.  They’ve been married almost 57 years, now.  That’s a long time.  They’ve grown old together.  And yet, when you ask them, they say they were just married yesterday.  When they look at one another, I see the light of love shining in their eyes, along with admiration and respect.  They know what each is made of and that they can depend on one another when the chips are down.  That Dad will still give Mom flowers now and then, and that Mom will still call Dad her “Cookie Monster” when he raids the freezer for the cookies he knows she has hidden there just for him. 

I’m glad we have Valentine’s Day, to remind us to be romantic.  But I think real romance is in the day-to-day living, working, raising kids, sharing laughter and tears, going through the difficulties and pleasures of life together.  Real love is blind.  It doesn’t see the wrinkles, gray hair, and frail bodies.  It only sees the person inside.  The person we first fell in love with.

My next book out in May 2013 is titled HEALING THE FOREST RANGER.  Included in the story are physical as well as mental scars and how real love can look beyond that.  I hope you like the book.  And tell me, who is your favorite romantic couple and why?  Leigh Bale  www.LeighBale.com

Labels:


 

17 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sweet, Leigh...loved your post!
    I think my favorite couple would be Ruth (deceased) & Billy Graham. They always inspired me!

    Excited about your new book; love the cover!
    jackie.smith[at]dishmail[dot]net

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Thanks, Jackie. The Graham's were indeed an inspirational couple. Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Blogger Valri said…

    I enjoyed your post, Leigh! I would have to say my favorite couple is my parents also. They have been married 55 years and are adorable! They are such great examples to everyone. I look forward to your new book too. I have loved all your other books!

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Anonymous Sharon Richmond said…

    Wow what a beautiful couple and a great testimony!!I look forward to reading your new book it looks great!!
    Sharon Richmond
    Blanch,NC.
    sharonruth126@gmail.com

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Thanks, Valri! I think it's interesting that, as couples age, we start to think of them as "adorable." We crave what they have shared together. There is definitely something to be said about longevity.

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Sharon, I appreciate your kind words. Thanks!

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Jackie, Valri and Sharon...each of you has just won a free giveaway of my new book coming out in May titled "Healing the Forest Ranger." If you will send me an email with your mailing address, I'll send that to you as soon as I receive copies of the book. (Give me a month...the book isn't out yet. I'm always surprised when people in the LI Book Club get copies of my books before I do. HAHAHA!) Email me at: Leigh@LeighBale.com

    And Congratulations!

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Blogger Julie Hilton Steele said…

    I am currently planning my in-laws 60th wedding anniversary celebration. How is that for standing the test of time? We had to pick an alternate date for their party because another couple was celebrating their 60th!

    We are big Casablanca people so Bogart and Bergman get my fictional character vote. But I have a friend whose husband has stood by her through her recovery from breast cancer. Doesn't get more romantic than real life.

    Can't wait for your next book.

    Peace, Julie

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Julie, that is amazing. I think one thing our kids today are missing is the idea that love is always glamorous and beautiful. They don't always have good examples in their lives of standing beside a spouse with breast cancer, the sickness, the hair falling out, etc. That is really what true love is about. Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I love hearing about how there are marriages that are doing well and that God is the center of their lives!
    Amazing!
    jennydtipton(at)gmail(dot)com

     
  • At February 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Jennifer, I agree. And very cute wedding picture showing on your blog, too. Is that you and your sweetheart?

     
  • At February 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Yes, Leigh! That's my sweetheart.

     
  • At February 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Anonymous JackieW said…

    My favorite romantic couple were my mom and dad who were married for 64 years. They were good examples of how love can last through thick and thin...at least in my eyes.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

     
  • At February 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Blogger Pat Davids said…

    What a great picture. I so agree, love isn't flowers and candy, love is in all the little things we do for each other.

     
  • At February 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Blogger Leigh Bale said…

    Thanks for all your great comments, folks! I thoroughly enjoyed this topic. :)

     
  • At February 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Blogger Rose said…

    I love the stories you told us. I think my favorite couple is Elizabeth Benett and Mr. Darcy.
    andantespirit08(at)gmail(dot)com

     
  • At March 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Blogger Rebekah M. said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home