Monday, October 6, 2014

Colorful Characters

by Keli Gwyn (@KeliGwyn)

I love creating characters. Some could be classified as colorful, in the lively, interesting or exciting sense of the word, but that's not what I'm talking about today.

The colorful characters on my mind are those who love color--in some cases a particular color.

Men in the Victorian Era, the period my stories take place, had few color choices. They wore a lot of black and white, which can get pretty boring.

Women, on the other, enjoyed the expanding array of fabrics and colors available, enabling me to have fun clothing them.

Tess, the heroine of my first Love Inspired Historical, Family of Her Dreams, coming June 2015, loves blue. It's pretty much the only color she wears. I have a hunch that's the color she'll be wearing on the cover that's currently in the development stage.

Blue used to be my favorite color, too, but as you can see from this picture of my closet, purple has captivated me. I wear all shades, from a deep violet to a light lavender and from a bold fuchsia to a muted mauve. I throw in black as my base color.

How about you? Do you wear a variety of colors, or are you partial to a certain one?

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Keli, I tend to wear whatever is comfortable now. There's a few outfits that I have for church or weddings but other than that I don't have much. Blue is my favorite color but I don't have hardly any blue clothes.
Can't wait to see the cover! Jenny

Keli Gwyn said...

Jennifer, being comfortable is important to me, too. When I can combine comfort and my favorite color, I count that as a win. Perhaps you could add a comfy blue item or two to your wardrobe.

Leann Harris said...

Love purple. I'm drawn to deep color and leave the pastels to others.

Jackie Smith said...

I like deeper colors, too....not fond of pastels!

Keli Gwyn said...

Jackie, it sounds like the spring colors aren't your thing either. I'm a winter gal myself.

Keli Gwyn said...

Yay, Leann! Another fan of purple. What fun!