Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Gardening and reading - two favorite things to do!



Susan Sleeman here. Summer’s in full swing in Oregon and I have to share a few pictures from my backyard. I love the multi-color of the two tall stands of zebra grass. It's also beautiful in the fall and winter if you leave the stalks with their seed heads.

The red flower is called Crocosmia and is my very favorite flower ever. I not only love the way it looks, but it’s a hummingbird magnet. They love, love, love it.

The heathers along the upper rock wall are out of bloom now, but in the spring we have a gorgeous show. They're covered in pink and purple flowers that remind me summer is coming. 

I wish I could take credit for how good the garden looks, but I have so many book deadlines this summer that I have had to forgo almost everything except working and my youngest daughter who still lives at home has taken up the charge and kept it in good shape. I’m so thankful that she shares my love of gardening. It would be a huge mess without her.

And this amazing picture is of the hummingbird that came to visit her when she was staking up the Crocosmia that likes to get a bit floppy. Isn't it an incredible picture?

My other favorite thing to do is take a book outside and sit on the patio to read. I could do that all summer long and never tire of it. I'd say I continue in the winter, but we have so much rain in Oregon and it's hard to read a soggy book. LOL

So what is your favorite summer activity and have you been able to do it this summer? 

DARK TIDE MISSION: PROTECT BABY

Gina Evans knows her brother was murdered—even if the police won't believe her. After catching a quick glimpse of the evidence her brother had gathered, the same criminals are after her and her baby niece. And Gina's only hope is the man she left behind. Despite the painful memories, private investigator Derrick Justice won't fail Gina and her baby. Yet now, the woman he never stopped loving and the baby he's come to adore are in a killer's crosshairs. But can Derrick trap the cold-blooded murderer before he strikes again?




SUSAN SLEEMAN is a best-selling author of inspirational and clean read romantic suspense books. Her first book, High-Stakes Inheritance was an ECPA bestseller. Award nominations include The Christmas Witness for the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence and Thread of Suspicion for the 2013 Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Best Book Award. In addition to writing, Susan also hosts the popular website TheSuspenseZone.com. She currently lives in Oregon, but has lived in nine states. Her husband is a realtor and they have two daughters, a son-in-law, and an adorable grandson. . To connect with Susan outside of her – Website visit any of these social media sites-

1 comment:

Leann Harris said...

Beautiful garden. I want to get back to my gardening and will next spring when I get the okay from my doctors that I can do it. I work out a lot of problems in my plot pulling weeds out of my garden.