Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Allie Pleiter on the OTHER kind of writing


You know what I mean--the OTHER kind.  The vanishing kind.  The handwritten note.

It’s probably the only thing that doesn’t get typed onto a keyboard these days, isn’t it?  Even the forms we fill out are often digitized lately.  I can’t even remember the last time my fingers touched a typewriter. 

Handwriting is a bit of a relic nowadays. Sigh.

I hope that’s not really true.  Actually, if one were to take my son’s handwriting into account, it might be better if it were true.  Still, I cherish things written by hand.  I used to think I could tell so much by a person’s handwriting, because it was such a part of their daily lives.  Now, short of someone’s signature, do we ever see much of anyone’s handwriting?

I’ve made it a goal of mine to write more notes this year.  The “snail mail” kind that require pen put to paper.  Part of that is drawn from my year-long goal of “connecting” with people rather than merely “communicating.”  I feel like I can communicate digitally, but I’ll really connect if I take the time and thought to write with my hands instead of just my fingertips.
How about you?  Where (if anywhere) does handwriting play a part in your life?

No comments: