Thursday, October 6, 2011

My trip to New York City

Kim Watters here. Last month I had the pleasure of taking a day trip into New York City on a visit to my childhood home outside Philadelphia. Living in a small town now, the hustle and bustle of the city was a bit overwhelming. We took the bus in because neither my friend nor I were up to driving in the city. Good thing to as it rained as we were leaving, and--um--I'm not the best driver when it's wet out. Taking the subway was another experience and I'm glad I had good directions as to which line to take, or we may still be trying to navigate our way out. Everyone we met was really nice and very helpful to two lost tourists wandering the streets.


The highlight of that day was touring the Harlequin offices and meeting the editorial staff for Love Inspired. From left to right, Elizabeth Mazer, Rachel Burkott, Tina James, Melissa Endlich, Kim Watters, and Emily Rodmell (my editor). They rolled out the red carpet and really made me feel a part of the Harlequin family. It's nice to be able to put a face with a name, and I admit that I'm not so intimidated when I call Emily now because I've finally met her.



We also stopped by the 9-11 site as it is just a few blocks away from the offices. Even being there, it was hard to imagine what happened that day, and bringing it closer to home. After about an hour, we were a little depressed and had to leave because it was so over whelming.





Our final stop of the day was at Times Square. Having only seen it on television and in the movies, it is very bright with all the lights and very crowded. I did find a couple of souvenirs for my kids and then with aching, tired feet, we headed back to the bus depot--another interesting site--and headed back to the nice, quiet suburbs.



Would I go again? Absolutely. It's a trip I won't forget any time soon. Until next time.....








No comments: