My 14 year old daughter wanted to go so badly. She has a heart for people and for missions and watching her dad leave without her was tough. So while he was away, we spent some time talking about things that we could do to help people here and overseas without ever leaving home. Here are a few of our ideas...
- Give the gift of food through Heifer International. (I, of course, began teasing her that she was getting a goat for Christmas)
- Buy yourself a cool bag and feed children around the world through FEED Projects. My daughter bought an awesome reversible burlap bag, which will feed one child in Africa lunch for a year. It's a remarkably small price to pay and a child who is hungry gets at least one meal a day.
- Use coupons and stockpile. Take your extra items to the homeless or battered women's shelter in your area. Or collect inexpensive items to make health kits which can be sent to people who need them by various mission organizations like this one or this one.
- Donate $10 to Nothing but Nets to help fight malaria in Africa.
- Write letters to people who are alone...shut-ins, soldiers, etc