Friday, July 10, 2009


Allie Pleiter here, with my first blog for loveinspiredauthors.com. It’s exciting to be here!

I’ve spent a lot of time recently thinking about how life imitates art and vice versa. Or, as my friend likes to put it, “you write the book you need to read.” God has a good time with me on that one, especially with my latest Bluegrass Blessings.

Did I somehow know I’d be confined to orthotic shoes this year, and therefore write Dinah Hopkins and her 30-odd pair of flip flops as my heroine? Did I know my daughter would focus her professional interests to baking and pastry, and therefore write a baker heroine? Dinah’s role as Middleburg’s baker was set long before my daughter began watching Ace of Cakes, so how could that be?

When God first led to me Midway, KY as I was looking for an inspiration on a setting for my series, did He know there’d be five books when I’d only envisioned three? Did He know those secondary characters were longing for stories of their own when I wrote them into the background of what I thought were main characters? Did I become so fond of Kentucky by writing the books, or did writing the books make me so fond of Kentucky?

I think God’s showing me how far and wide He sees. How His view expands beyond time, visibility, and my meager concept of what “ought to be.” I always seem to write characters who teach me things, even when I think I’m in control. It’s one of the great blessings of this work for me. I hope it’s one of the great blessings for you as readers.

2 comments:

Missy Tippens said...

It is amazing how God works! :)

Laney4 said...

I too wear orthotics. I have heavy plastic(?) inserts that I place in my runners every day. When I first needed them, I wore them all day every day for months until the pain went away. After that, I wore them just in outside shoes to "maintain". Every so often I stay in my house for a few days wearing my slippers, and then realize I should have been wearing my orthotics because the pain has returned! Much as they're a nuisance to wear, I am SO glad that they were invented by my lifetime, as I wouldn't want to hobble around without them otherwise. Bottom line? Enjoy the comfort; forget the nuisance. Orthotics, to me, ARE a blessing in life!