Monday, April 23, 2012

Allie Pleiter on loving books


Book fairs are among my favorite places. So many wonderful, temping volumes in one room!

Sitting in a book fair, I see faces pass by that hold the "I want them all!" expression.   I feel it, too--the happy yearning for all the time in the world to read every book I want (and, I suppose, an unlimited book budget!).

Of course, I don't have all the time in the world, and neither do you. So I have to find lots of creative ways to feed my book appetite. The neat thing about today's world is that there a lots of ways to devour books.

I listen to audio books in the car. I have one book loaded on my iPhone, another on my iPad, two paper books in my house, and there's almost always one stashed somewhere in my car. And then there are the stacks of reference books scattered around the floor by my desk for research. For example, my current in-progress collection includes one contemporary romance, one historical novel, a nutrition book in audio form, a collection of essays on my iPhone, a spiritual book on my iPad, and a literary novel in my car. 

Such a buffet of words! While there are days I can manage a long, luxurious read, most days I am "snacking" anywhere I can.

What about you? What's in your "daily diet" of reading and how do you get to it?

No comments: