Monday, December 26, 2011

ROADTRIP BLESSINGS




Hello there! Dana Corbit here...coming to you from our Christmas roadtrip to Kokomo, Indiana, my hometown. Our family did the whole "Over the river and through the wood to grandfather's house" thing this week, and I can tell you it didn't seem as romantic as the songwriter described. But then Lydia Maria Child probably wasn't envisioning three mostly grown children, two parents (one with a laptop), a body pillow, a Pillow Pet named Gingy, and a collection of books and electronic gadgets, all crammed into a mid-size Ford for four hours of leg-cramping delight. Okay, it wasn't really that bad. We arrived in one piece, and any hits anyone sustained didn't leave a mark...well, except for the friendly notes penned on one unfortunate napper.



All kidding aside and forgetting my longing for the old minivan, I have to smile when I think about this trip. These days are precious. The memories will be dear. We have each other. Whining or not, all three of our children are here with us. We have the car that will get us to grandma's, and all of the grandparents, even my Grandma, are still here for us to visit. We're in a nice hotel instead of crammed in with all of the guests at the house. We are blessed!



I don't know about you all, but I sometimes need a reminder to count my blessings. God has given us so many blessings during the Christmas season and all year long. These moments are here only once, and whether the perfect ones we imagine or the imperfect ones that are our reality, we need to step back, recognize the gifts and cherish them.



As I sit here at the hotel desk, writing my last few words, I am reminded of an additional blessing on this trip: free wireless. Since there's only dial-up at the house - almost as much of a blast from the past as the horse-drawn sleigh in Child's song - that is certainly among my favorite blessings of the day.



Enjoy the rest of this Christmas season, and be looking for the blessings all around you. I know I plan to.



Dana



Philippians 4:4












No comments: