Monday, November 16, 2009

Talking Turkey

Hello! Stephanie Newton here. It's almost time for turkey. I don't know about you, but I have 22 people coming to my house for Thanksgiving. And...I really don't even know how to cook a turkey. This would be me:



Then I got to thinking about my favorite Thanksgiving memories over the years. It's not the turkey I remember. It's not even the sweet potato casserole (with marshmallows--not pecan topping) or even the cranberry sauce. It's the memory of looking around the table at each face and family and knowing that I am blessed. We're not always lucky enough to be able to spend Thanksgiving with family, but the truth is still the same. While the food is great, it's not the turkey that makes Thanksgiving my favorite holiday. It's a heart filled with thankfulness.

Stephanie Newton lives in Northwest Florida with her pastor husband and two teenagers. She gains lots of inspiration from the sugar-white sand and blue-green water of the Gulf of Mexico and the many, many strange things you see when you live at the beach. She's going to order her Thanksgiving turkey this year.

Stephanie's next book in her Emerald Coast 911 series, Smoke Screen, will hit retail shelves January 12, or will be available for order for eHarlequin on December 1.

5 comments:

brenda minton said...

we can no longer be friends...not if you want marshmallow instead of pecan. I can't believe I didn't know that about you.

But you're right, it isn't the food. If you ask my kid, it is all about going to grandma's house. Which means: family.

Stephanie Newton said...

Haha...sometimes we have to make two casseroles. My dad likes the pecan topping too. But usually we vote and the kids get two votes, so marshmallows win. :)

I have this perfect memory of me and my grandmother in her kitchen and her teaching me how to make that sweet potato casserole. I love Thanksgiving.

Sheila Deeth said...

My Thanksgiving memories don't go very far back since we didn't celebrate it in England, but having the family home, sitting down to eat together, making time for each other... Now, pecans instead of marshmallows - they guys don't like marshmallows so I'm going to give that a try.

Stephanie Newton said...

You should try it, Sheila! As a whole, I find men prefer the pecans. One of my kids is allergic, though so we're definitely a marshmallow family.

I bet it's fun getting to celebrate different holidays and learning the traditions that go along with it.

Steph

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Yahoo for marshmallow!

This is a little random, Stephanie, but your kitchen looks exactly like my sister-in-law's kitchen. Strange!