Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Military Match





My newest book, A MILITARY MATCH, is on sale now. The fun thing about writing A MILITARY MATCH was actually getting to attend the U.S. Cavalry Competition while I was doing research for the book.
A MILITARY MATCH is the third book in the Mounted Color Guard series. The series features a real army unit at Fort Riley, Kansas called the Commanding General’s Mounted Color Guard. Troopers and horses of this unit are outfitted in the uniforms, equipment and weapons of the Civil War period. The men, brought together from various units stationed at the fort, receive instruction from the same type of manuals used by the men of Custer’s 7th Cavalry in the 1860’s.
Anyone who has an opportunity to watch a demonstration by the CGMCG shouldn’t miss it. They are awesome.
It is also possible to visit the stables and talk with the men if you’re in the area. The stables, located on Fort Riley's Main Post in Bldg. 275, are open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. The stables house 18 horses and two mule. I was amused to learn one of mules and I share the same name. Be sure and say hi to Pat if you happen to stop in.
You can learn more about the unit by visiting http://www.riley.army.mil/OurPost/ColorGuard.aspx
As it turns out, Fort Riley isn’t the only military base with a horse guard, but it is the home of the U.S. Cavalry Association and Museum. The association, in an effort to promote the history of the cavalry, hosts a cavalry competition each year. Active duty and civilians re-enactors compete in skills such as saber, pistol and military horsemanship while attired in authentic dress of their chosen period. In my book, I used a fictitious contest, but the real competition happens each fall at various sites around the country. To check out their schedule visit http://www.uscavalry.org/
I could go on and on about this amazing unit, but I won’t. I have to get back to my work in progress, an inspirational suspense set in a small Kansas town entitled SPEED TRAP. It will be out next September if I get it done this week.
Blessings,
Pat Davids

No comments: